Did You Know?
- Every two minutes, a child is treated in an emergency room for an unintentional cycle-related incident.
- More children ages 5 to 14 are seen in emergency rooms for biking related-injuries than any other sport.
- Helmet use is the most effective way to reduce bicycle-related fatalities.
- Non-motorized scooters cause more injuries to kids than any other toy.
- Every $12 spent on a bicycle helmet for a child generates $580 in cost-saving benefits to society.
Bicycle Safety Tips
- Wear a Helmet. It is the single most effective safety device available to reduce head injury and death from bicycle crashes.
- Find the Right Helmet Fit. Make sure your child has the right size helmet and wears it every time when riding.
- Make sure the helmet fits and your child knows how to put it on correctly. A helmet should sit on top of the head in a level position, and should not rock forward, backward or side to side. The helmet straps must always be buckled, but not too tightly.
- Check your equipment. Before the ride, make sure the reflectors are secure, brakes work properly, gears shift smoothly, and tires are tightly secured and properly inflated.
- Dress young kids appropriately. Long or loose clothing can get caught in bike chains or wheel spokes.
- Stay Alert. Teach your child to watch for cars and trucks.
- Children should be able to show they know the rules of the road before cycling with traffic.
- Model Good Behavior because kids learn from watching you. Wear a helmet, even if you didn’t when you were a kid.
- Ride with traffic, not against it. Stay as far to the right as possible. Use appropriate hand signals and respect traffic signals, stopping at all stop signs and stoplights.
- Stop and look left, right and left again before entering a street or crossing an intersection. Look back and yield to traffic coming from behind before turning left.
- Be Bright. Use Lights and reflectors so drivers can see you.
How to properly fit a bike helmet:
YOU TUBE VIDEO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=11&v=H217lHB1ziY (placed on page like it is now)